Rebuilding die Wolfsschanze Could Save Liberalism

Even from its very beginnings, liberalism has battled to uphold its own ideals about freedom of thought and expression. When the French Revolution, the font of free-thinking, tolerant, liberal society overthrew feudalism, the liberal revolutionaries were guilty of using violence to suppress a competing set of ideas. Instead of allowing feudalism to play itself out for another thousand years whilst vigorously criticising it in print, liberals forced feudalism out of power and decapitated enough nobles to ensure it would never reoccur.

This first foray into political oppression set a dark precedent for liberals everywhere, whose true goals – the protection of free thought and expression – are in obvious conflict with the French Revolution and its suppression of feudalism and its advocates. The modern equivalents – the death sentence recently handed down to Dylan Roof, the neo-Nazi white supremacist who killed nine people in his attack on a black church; the firebombing of a Republican campaign headquarters in North Carolina – continue this betrayal of liberalism and its dream of a free society.

Thankfully, the reaction to the Republican HQ firebombing was in the best spirit of liberalism, with former Democrat foes raising thousands of dollars to repair and rebuild the damaged Republican HQ. I can only urge a similar reaction to Roof’s sentencing. However vile, however loathsome Roof and his ideas, we should always take the high road and allow those ideas to be defeated by better ideas. When somebody goes on an inhuman rampage, killing innocent people because of their ethnicity and showing zero remorse for their actions, we should debate them, not have them put down like a demented animal.

However, an even greater historical wrong than Roof’s case needs righting. Another failure of liberal tolerance burns even hotter, another wrong that must be righted. It is my pleasure to announce our intention to rebuild the Wolfsschanze, and to put out the call for volunteers to help with our restoration effort. Part time home and command centre for Adolf Hitler and the Nazi high command, the Wolfsschanze was dynamited by retreating SS soldiers before it could be captured by the advancing Soviet Army. The destruction of the Wolfsschanze, much like the firebombing of the Republican campaign headquarters in North Carolina, and the sentencing of Dylan Roof, was a betrayal of liberal values that we cannot continue to ignore. Let me explain.

The Nazis may have invaded the USSR and killed 30 million people – yes, we are all appalled by these statistics. But even more appalling was the Soviet response. In resisting the Nazi invasion for 4 long years and ultimately defeating Nazi Germany the USSR got in the way of the marketplace of ideas. To make things worse, the Soviet leadership went on a spree of authoritarian thought control post-war by banning fascist political activity in the segment of Germany they conquered.

This remains perhaps the blackest mark on communism: its key role in the defeat and suppression of European fascism. In this crime, the USA and Great Britain, as well as the other Allied nations, are complicit (though by hiring hundreds of former Nazis into their intelligence services, they at least allowed Nazis a role in post-war civil society).

The truest way to oppose fascism and its German subculture Nazism would have been to simply allow them to run riot over the globe. Eventually, once they were done killing everyone who wasn’t a white heterosexual conservative, people would have realised what a terrible idea it was to let Hitler run the country. This would have inevitably lead to genuine democratic change from within. Nazism would have been defeated as an idea, not by brute force. As it stands, the injustice done to the Nazis – however much we may dislike the Nazis, which we all surely do – is still an embarrassment for liberal democracy. Fighting fascists – in the street or on the battlefield – makes you just as bad as Nazis, who are themselves dedicated to suppressing freedom of thought and expression.

If we simply meet force with force, then we give up on the promise of our democracies. We become just as bad as the fascists. We must do better. When someone firebombs a Republican campaign office, we empty our pockets to help rebuild them. When a twisted neo-Nazi is sentenced to death, we campaign for lighter sentencing and a televised debate with Sam Harris. If our political opponents win we take the high road and respect their victory – unless we’re talking about Trump, because Trump was obviously a failure of democracy and he’s a Russian mole. But that’s a special case.

Currently we are busy clearing the dense forest that has overgrown the Adolf Hitler-Strasse, the main road leading into the Wolfsschanze site. Volunteers are asked to head to the Joseph Goebbels-Platz where refreshments will be served. I look forward to the weeks to come.

Edited by swampman ()

hm, good food for thought i guess, but i'd like to read a thoughtful rebuttal

Gibbonstrength posted:

I can only urge a similar reaction to Roof’s sentencing. However vile, however loathsome Roof and his ideas, we should always take the high road and allow those ideas to be defeated by better ideas. When somebody goes on an inhuman rampage, killing innocent people because of their ethnicity and showing zero remorse for their actions, we should debate them, not have them put down like a demented animal.

I'm sorry that you think you can call yourself a liberal, while you write in complete ignorance of the facts. Roof asked for a death sentence, to avoid a life sentence. This means in addition to dying in prison eventually anyway, you're advocating that Roof have to suffer the experience of long term imprisonment, and possibly even feelings of regret, which takes expensive medication (hi taxpayers!) to cure.

http://www.prisonradio.org/media/audio/mumia/dylann-roof-life-202-mumia-abu-jamal

I also want to say that there is another group of people who have been deprived a voice throughout history: women. If us liberals are going to get together to restore the parts of Nazi Germany that genuinely intended to help the world, this restoration had damn well better be gender-neutral. The project also needs to be safe for minorities to collaborate with the Nazis if they choose.
the practical approach here is to de-legitimize the murder apparatus of the neo nazi state in whatever form it takes instead of playing to the libidos of faux-communist children who like to imagine it works for them. nothing more really needs to be said
i dont understand your post, but I appreciate that you shared it with me. Each of us is entitled to an opinion, however difficult to comprehend

cars posted:

nothing more really needs to be said

If there are any fellow liberals reading, register an account and help me overpower this Communist censorship with the sheer crushing volume of Democracy, America Style

This is the exact sort of clickbait the rhizzone needs

Gibbonstrength posted:

i dont understand your post, but I appreciate that you shared it with me. Each of us is entitled to an opinion, however difficult to comprehend

shorter cars: God is real.

I'll rebuild the website
I've started the gofundme, indiegog, and kickstarter campaign for this freedom project. Please donate to fund the film I intend to make about this endeavor and sell on the marketplace of ideas. Don't worry, the remaining money will go towards fighting the illiberal Slavic dezinformatsiya on the soc

Edited by RTC ()

fape posted:

This is the exact sort of clickbait the rhizzone needs

it's worked out really well in the case of the trump article. i think if we could get on a weekly schedule of writing good, solid defenses and arguments in favour of the extreme right, we'd get a lot of hits. more every day. entirely ironically of course!

Cat doctor, please don't straw man me. This is NOT a defence of the extreme right . I am disgusted by the extreme right. As a liberal I straddle
Both left and right, leaning one way or the other based on the strength of argument and my own capacity for reason. I simply believe in freedom of speech - something leftists need to work on.
Wow, just wow. While I sincerely admire the force of your convictions, I must respectfully disagree from some of your conclusions.

While on its face, it seems we liberals would be striking a real blow for tolerance and diversity of opinion, i feel that unilaterally using our purchasing power to influence the marketplace of ideas of exactly the kind of totalitarian behavior that the rethuglicans engage in and that we rightfully criticize them for.

A much more democratic way would be to lobby our elected representatives to pass a bill authorizing private corporations to bid on contracts to re-build this historic monument to free speech. After all, it's not really for us to make these kinds of decisions on our own instead of following the established political channels which, after all, are what ensure the freedoms of speech that we all take for granted.

cheers
Americans already saved liberalism when they restored hitler's car and put it on display like a holy relic
just a reminder that it is not communist to cheer big nazi United States killing little nazi dylann roof to make itself look better, and also that both Gibbonstrength and everyone who upvoted his comment knew full well what I meant. Love y'all anyway, have a great day.

Horselord posted:

Americans already saved liberalism when they restored hitler's car and put it on display like a holy relic

And then brought it to immortality on 2001's classic comedy movie "Rat Race" by Jerry Zucker

cars posted:

just a reminder that it is not communist to cheer big nazi United States killing little nazi dylann roof to make itself look better, and also that both Gibbonstrength and everyone who upvoted his comment knew full well what I meant. Love y'all anyway, have a great day.

I read it like 10 times and I still dont understand who its talking about. This is the kind of minefield we enter at irony level 8

i'm saying that communists oppose the death penalty as practiced by the united states in total or by any of its subsidiary entities, not for idealist but for practical reasons, in that it's immature praxis to promote when the united states kills relatively impotent people who simply represent the ideology of the united states, since that's one big way the united states legitimizes its own activity. if we're now 3 explanations deep and you still don't grasp it, please tell me your specific problem.
i mean the ultimate point here is that the death penalty as practiced by the united states, whether through the courts or through presidential-order drone strike, is a form of disciplining labor, with all the connotations that has in the current situation for issues of imperialism, issues of racism and colonialism, whether internal or external, and so on. killing a little nazi is a good way to point away from all that and make people who understand that feel uneasy about their footing on the question.
I think if you believe the purpose of the criminal system is to punish instead of rehabilitate someone, life in the horrid american prison system is a much worse sentence than pumping poison on your veins.
i think you should only kill someone if it fulfills some necessity, and if you have enough time to go through the heavily ritualized slow process that is legal execution then killing that person isn't necessary. that you have him in a death row cell in itself is proof that person can't get up to mischief anymore

i could respect someone going "this nazi is gross" and blowing his head off right there in the court room but execution as a thing is dumb
I think one can be against the death penalty while making fun of liberals hand-wringing about it. Maybe not a thing to spend too much time doing when you have to make tactical alliances, but pretty harmless. I'm glad cars made clear the proper position, however.

Hell, Jason makes a good point I say.

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Poisonous words from Martin Luther King, Jr. A known enemy of the rights of segregationists to freely express their beliefs.